Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Worst Job Ever?

Alright, I know I shouldn’t complain. I mean; after all there are people who have worse jobs than I have at this time. Hell, there’s even people who don’t have any job at all. But as far as my experience goes, this job is the worst that I have worked so far.
To begin with, there is the ridiculously low wage I am receiving. It’s so low that I won’t reveal it, even in this protected post.

Yup, that’s right I’m writing this in protected mode. I don’t see myself with this employer much longer. He’s paying me under the table, so no taxes are coming out, but there’s no compensation for me if I get hurt or fired either. All that and I’m the one who will have to face the music with the IRS sooner or later. But fact is, if I keep working at this rate of pay I could legally go exempt for this year…you do the math on that one.

I’m working at least 12hrs a day for wages that migrant farm workers would turn their noses up at. I feel pretty sure that no illegal is gonna come take this job from me…that’s how bad it is.
Everybody (except me) drinks on the job.

Yesterday, the mechanic (shop manager) passed out drunk underneath a car he was working on. The job he was working on had been stretched out from 4hrs to 3 days. Another mechanic on the job finished up for the passed out mechanic and it still wasn’t done right. When the customer came in to pick up his vehicle, the owner wouldn’t let him take it out of the shop unless it was paid for. The guy and his wife were complaining (legitimately in my opinion), that they wanted to at least test drive the car before they paid for it. The owner (who remained in his office) said no. The couple called the Police (who have been up to this shop 7 times in the past 2 weeks), who in turn tried to mediate between the shop owner and the dissatisfied couple. The owner had the 20yr old girl who runs the office and the other shop outside talking to the Police and the couple. It was a big cluster f**k.

Finally the couple said they would pay with their credit card, and they were told the credit card machine was down, that it would have to be a cash transaction. I personally think that the owner has either lost his merchant account or he didn’t want the credit card company to dispute the bill. Either way, it’s just plain shitty on his part to pull some cockamamie, jack-leg, half-assed, Mickey Mouse, bull-shit!

That’s not the only thing going on there. The guy in charge of tire sales is a crooked bastard as well. I’ve graded used tires for 20yrs, going back to the days of grading casings for retreads. I’ve always graded conservatively, I believe that if one is to err he should do so on the side of caution. This jerk-off took a tire out of the discard pile I was grading. The tire looked good on the outside (it was a full-tread, low profile, 22in tire), but it was obviously ruined on the inside (the liner was ruined), making it a hazard to even inflate the tire on the tire machine…never mind running the damned thing on a car. He said in front of some of these young kids that he’s training… “I can get $100 for that tire.”

I told him that one of two things was gonna happen. 1) The tire was gonna blow up on the changer or 2) whatever gangsta he sold it to was gonna come back and put a cap in his dumb-ass and take his $100 back. I’ve lived in this neighborhood for 40yrs, most of the people I grew up with are either dead or in prison, there is a reason I’m not…I don’t intentionally set out to screw people, and if it happens unintentionally…I try to set it right. This place has a “no refund” policy. I can see that if you are doing your best to be on the up & up, but if you continually set out to screw people, somebody is gonna get their satisfaction back out of you.

The same mechanic that passed out under the car (he’s a nice guy, just a lush), has a crack-ho girl friend who was fighting another crack-ho on Main St, in front of the shop, the other day. That particular day a cop just happened to drive by and see the two drunk, coked out, whores rolling around on the sidewalk. How they kept from getting arrested, I’ll never know.

There’s more that has gone on since I’ve been there, but I don’t feel like going into it right now. Let’s just suffice it to say, that I’ll be lucky to make another week and when I leave… I have a good mind to call the DOT on their ass. I know where that screwed up tire (and bunch more like it are).

Does that make me a rat? Possibly, but remember what I said about satisfaction? Screw me and see if I don’t get some!

Oh…BTW: As pissed as I am about these low-life, crooked, no-good, bastards, I’m working for…It’s a rant about them…not you.

I LOVE YOU GUYS
Have a great weekend.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger ladytao said...

here i thought i lived in a bad neighbor, i can at least say mine has cleaned up since i've grown up. also sounds like you need a new job, one that has principals like yourself. good luck surviving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home